DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – A Dallas neighborhood remains on high alert as police step up the search for a serial rapist.
Early Friday morning the Dallas Police Department announced a person of interest was in custody.
29-year-old Alan Mason was questioned by police, in connection to the nine incidents of rape in the Fair Park area this summer.
Many neighbors took it as a sign the search was over.
In a late morning news conference police announced that Mason, who was cooperating, would not be charged.
By early afternoon, Dallas officers were back on the street, handing out fliers with a general description of the suspect, and asking the public to remain vigilant.
Residents like Shanna Carter are anxious for more news. “I’m on edge. Been scared, cautious, watching out,” Carter said.
Carter has four daughters and one niece at home, and her girls sometimes walk from sports practice after school. It’s a 15-minute trip, but she’s concerned.
“Knowing there’s someone like that in the neighborhood, I bought [my daughters] mace. I bought them all some mace so they can protect themselves,” Carter said.
Police say the suspected rapist covers his face with a cloth, wears glasses, and is always armed with a handgun. He approaches on foot, and possibly leaves in a fray Honda Civic 4-door or older model gray Volvo sedan.
Anyone with information can call anonymously to Crime Stoppers: (214)373-8477.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Grapevine Police Report Spike In Third Row Seat Thefts
- Hospital Staff Surprise Couple On 65th Anniversary
- A Plea To Dallas Leaders For Affordable Housing
- Specialized Nurses Helping Rape Survivors Heal At Parkland
- Dangerous Drivers Stop Traffic To Put On Show
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time