Residents Along Bacon Street In Fort Worth Fed Up
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – They call it Lake Bacon. Even if it hasn’t rained, residents on Bacon Drive in North Fort Worth know that every day, every week, every month, if they go out their cars are going to get wet. For about three blocks, the residential street is flooded in several spots on both sides of the road. The city of Fort Worth has told them a fix is on the way. Several residents say they have heard that since they first started noticing the problem, six years ago.
Bacon is one of 355 streets that have long been the subject of a lawsuit over premature street failure. A Transportation and Public Works department representative said through a city spokesman Friday, that the city was in the final stages of a negotiating a settlement. Bacon Drive, they said, would be included in the second phase of work orders but they don’t know when that will happen.
Fort Worth actually entered arbitration in 2007 and approved a settlement with Conatser Construction in 2011. It called for each party to split repair costs evenly for 128.2 miles of streets. At the time, Bacon Drive was one of about 40 street highlighted as “the worst of the worst.”
Jennifer McDonald, said neighbors have heard all the promises before. “Oh yeah, we get the runaround,” she said. “We’re told — next month.”
While the two sides negotiate, the damage has just progressed. In front of Scott Lebredo’s home the street has crumbled, allowing the water to drain into the ground. His sidewalk, front grass and driveway have all started to slump. Cars now bottom out as they go past his home, sending chunks of concrete flipping into his yard.
“It’s getting to the point now, where it’s just not safe,” he said.
Friday, sewage overflowed through a manhole, draining into the small lakes that sit in front of driveways. City crews were out spraying disinfectant along the curbs. It was one more headache for residents who said they have been concerned with mosquitoes, West Nile Virus, and increasing drainage issues off their own properties.
The original settlement called for all work orders to be in place by October of 2014. Some residents who have been wrestling with the issue since 2007, said they were beginning to consider their own legal options.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Closing Birdie for Spieth To Share Colonial 1st-Round Lead
- DFW Airport Predicts Record Summer
- Bridge To Businesses A No-Go So Far At Joe Pool Lake
- Major Cancer Breakthrough Brewing At Baylor
- West Nile Virus Back In North Texas
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time