Garland Confirms Human Case Of West Nile Virus
CBS DFW (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSDFW.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSDFW.com/Health
GARLAND (CBSDFW.COM) - The Garland Health Department received a report of a laboratory confirmed human case of West Nile Virus Monday in an person who lives in the 2900 block of Newburyport Avenue.
It’s the first confirmed human case reported in Garland in this year. The health department will initiate adulticide spraying throughout surrounding area between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.tonight to minimize the risk of additional human infections. If rain or winds in excess of 10 mph prohibit spraying tonight, the area will be sprayed at the first opportunity.
Thus far in 2013, five West Nile Virus human cases are confirmed in Dallas County and the presence of the disease in mosquitoes means that transmission to humans is possible, so residents are urged to take preventative measures.
West Nile Virus rarely causes severe illness or death, but residents should remain vigilant and take common sense precautions to minimize the risk of exposure. To protect yourself from exposure to the virus, limit outdoor activity during evening and early morning hours when mosquitoes are most active. While outdoors, wear light-colored, long sleeve clothing, and use an insect repellent containing DEET, according to its label directions.
Most importantly, residents should take measures to eliminate any standing water on their property, such as birdbaths (clean them twice per week), pet water dishes, clogged rain gutters, tires, and buckets. Containers that can hold water for just a few days can breed mosquitoes. Report any standing water that you are not able to personally eliminate to the health department.
If you have questions or would like to report standing water, call the Garland Health Department’s mosquito control hotline at (972) 205-3720. Further questions on West Nile Virus should be directed to the City of Garland’s website, ci.garland.tx.us, or 972-205-3460.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
- Heroin Use Reaching Epidemic Levels Across North Texas
- North Texas Police Department Posting Traffic Enforcement Locations
- Rangers GM Jon Daniels Talk Baseball Live From Surprise
- PD: Wylie Teens Planned Classmate’s Murder
- NSA Leaker Edward Snowden Speaks At SXSW Conference
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time