ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – UTA says one student and two fraternities have been suspended after allegations of unregistered parties, underage drinking and sexual assault.
According to a UTA statement, university police were called to a residence hall after a woman was found unconscious Saturday night. UTA says the woman was taken to a hospital where she later claimed she was sexually assaulted at the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house.
The school gave the male suspect in the case an interim suspension while police investigate the case. His name has not yet been released.
And in a further move, UTA also issued interim suspensions for the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity.
“We take these issues very seriously,” stated university president Vistasp Karbhari. “We are taking decisive and appropriate action while the investigation continues and due process is served related to these unfortunate circumstances. We are deeply committed to the well-being of our University community and will not tolerate behavior that is potentially dangerous for our students and others.”
The school says it is investigating the fraternities holding unauthorized parties and allowing underage drinking.
Fraternity members declined comment. Word of the suspensions spread quickly on campus.
“I thought it was crazy!” exclaimed student Marcus Spears. “My roommate told me and I was just, like, wow!”
“You know there’s crime around the area, but not UTA,” said student Mario Alberty. “I was shocked.”
- Flooding At North Texas Lakes Keeps Some Areas Of Parks Closed
- Starr Apologizes To Baylor Sex Assault Victims
- Fort Worth Man Convicted Of Choking Girlfriend Gets 80 Years In Prison
- Welcome To Texas: The Dallas World Aquarium
- Report: Rougned Odor’s Suspension Reduced By One Game
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time