MELISSA (CBS 11 NEWS) – The death of a single mother in Melissa raises questions about how far someone must go to escape a violent past.
The 34-year-old woman was discovered by her teenaged son, neighbors say, when he came home from school Monday.
“It’s just a shame, what happened,” said Chris Barnes.
Sources identify the woman as Nicole Leger, a woman who did everything she could to escape a man with a history of violence.
According to the Denton County District Attorney’s office, Leger was attacked by a man at his Frisco home in March.
The man allegedly drugged Leger’s food, tied her up in the garage, and raped her.
He was charged with aggravated sexual assault and unlawful restraint.
When the man posted bond and left jail, Leger was issued an emergency protective order.
In April, the Denton DA office says, the man allegedly violated his restraining order when he sent Leger a card and flowers.
The Collin County Court system denied it to be a violation though, and he remained free.
Monday afternoon, Melissa Police swarmed Maple Lane, after the woman was discovered dead.
It’s a shock to neighbors, in a bedroom community of quiet streets and friendly people.
“It’s crazy. This is a nice, quiet community. Very safe. something like this is out of nowhere,” said neighbor David Harlow.
The person of interest in this case was arrested on an unrelated traffic violation in Frisco Tuesday morning.
Melissa Police, the Texas Rangers, and Collin County deputies continue to investigate.
- Dallas County Schools Has $40 Million Less Than Anticipated
- Trump Administration Reverses Obama Policies On Transgender Bathrooms
- Ex-Offenders Find Second Chance Through Habitat For Humanity
- Police: Teacher Threatens Give Me A Raise Or ‘Burn Alive’
- The Apollo 11 Capsule Is Going On Tour
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time