FORT WORTH (AP) – Actor Peter Mayhew, who portrayed towering Chewbacca in the “Star Wars” films, has had double knee-replacement surgery at a Texas hospital.
Mayhew was recovering Wednesday at Plaza Medical Center in Fort Worth. Angie Mayhew says her 69-year-old husband had the surgery Monday and hopes to walk again. She says her spouse has been using a wheelchair for two years.
Angie Mayhew says her husband also had a tendon-stretching procedure to stabilize his legs. Peter Mayhew was born with a condition known as gigantism, which causes excessive growth. He’s 7 feet 3 inches tall.
The British-born actor’s medical issues will be the subject of an upcoming documentary, “Standing in the Stars — The Peter Mayhew Story.”
The Mayhews live in Boyd, about 20 miles northwest of Fort Worth.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Scout Leader Remembered As Loving Mother, Generous Volunteer
- Churches Gather To Pray For The City Of Dallas
- Hamels Picks Up 11th Win, Rangers Top Royals 7-4
- Shooting At Texas Apartment Leaves Four Dead
- Kyle Busch Wins NASCAR Xfinity Series Race At Indy Again
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time