Longhorns QB Ash Questionable Against Ole Miss
Sports Fan Insider
AUSTIN (AP) – Texas quarterback David Ash is still questionable for Saturday’s game against No. 25 Mississippi and a decision whether he can play may not come until not long before kickoff.
Coach Mack Brown said Wednesday if Ash can’t play, senior Case McCoy will start and freshman Tyrone Swoopes will be the top backup.
“The guys trust Case. There won’t be panic if David’s not out there,” Brown said.
Ash left the field with head and shoulder injuries after being tackled in the fourth quarter of Texas’ 40-21 loss at BYU last week. He accounted for five touchdowns in a season-opening win over New Mexico State and had two touchdown passes in the loss.
Through the first two games, Ash passed for 594 yards and also ranks as the team’s leading rusher with 125, including a 55-yard touchdown.
The Texas medical staff will continue to evaluate Ash through the week. Brown didn’t rule out playing Ash if he can’t practice all week but is cleared by doctors before kickoff Saturday night.
McCoy has appeared in 21 games in his career with six starts. The biggest play of McCoy’s career came in 2011 when his final-minute scrambled against Texas A&M set up the winning field goal in the last game between the in-state rivals.
Texas (1-1) is already without top playmaker Daje Johnson against Mississippi (2-0). Johnson scored two touchdowns in the first game, but was injured on the third play against BYU when his ankle twisted under a defender.
Brown has given no timetable for when Johnson will return
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Flu Shots = Big Business For Retailers
- Wendy Davis Attacks Greg Abbott In First Debate
- Few Fireworks In First Texas Governor’s Debate
- Police Now Involved In Battle Over Locked Fire Hydrants
- Possible Attempted Child Abduction In Keller
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time