Miss Kansas Shows Tattoos At Miss America Pageant
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) – Miss Kansas Theresa Vail says she wants to break the stereotype that women with visible tattoos don’t compete in pageants.
So during the swimsuit portion of the Miss America competition on Tuesday, Vail revealed two tattoos — the Serenity Prayer on her right side and the insignia of the U.S. Army Dental Corps on her left shoulder.
Vail is a 22-year-old senior at Kansas State University. She’s also a member of the Army National Guard who wants to become a military dentist.
Her platform is helping women overcome stereotypes and break barriers.
Given her platform, she wrote on her blog last month: “What a hypocrite I would be if I covered the ink.”
The Miss America pageant is back in Atlantic City, N.J., after a six-year absence. The finale will be Sunday night.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Texans File Suit Over Bar-B-Que Smoke Smell
- ‘Animated’ Dez Bryant Explains Fight With Tyler Patmon At Cowboys Camp
- Officials: Teen Arrested After Patrol Car Set Afire In Texas
- GOP Hopeful Ted Cruz To Visit Tupelo, Olive Branch Aug. 11
- ‘Mission: Impossible’ Climbs To No. 1, ‘Vacation’ Is A Bust
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time