DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A week has passed since Dallas Police stormed the Arlington apartment of Alan Mason and took him into custody as a “person of interest” in a serial rape case that left victims terrorized in South Dallas.

Dallas Police officially cleared him as a person of interest Thursday, but Mason only learned about Friday morning from the newspaper.

He said he felt “a bit of anger and relief.”

Since his name was put out by Dallas Police as a person of interest, Mason says it has brought embarrassment to him and his family.

(credit: Alan Mason's Facebook page)

(credit: Alan Mason’s Facebook page)

An insurance agent, with a Master’s degree from Grambling State University, Mason had planned to open his own insurance agency, but now says his future could be in jeopardy.

“When you first Google me, this pops up,” he said. “I’m usually very confident. I’ve worked hard to position myself in a certain position at this point in my life. I just don’t know I’m going to bounce back from it.”

Mason’s grandmother, Shirley Clerkley, said she always knew the allegations against her grandson were false, but she’s upset her family has gotten no apology from the Dallas Police Department.

“For the people who did perceive him as a suspect or refer to him as a suspect, shame on them,” said Dallas Police Chief David Brown, at a press conference earlier this week.

“Chief Brown refused to say ‘I’m sorry,'” Clerkley said.

But in a jailhouse interview, Mason said he felt differently from his grandmother.

“He doesn’t have to apologize to me. It wouldn’t change a thing anyway. I mean, he’s already done damage,” Mason said.

Mason remains in jail on a probation violation stemming from a 2010 DWI case.

He is expected to get out of jail Monday. He says he is eager to get back to work.

Mason is not yet pursuing legal action, but is seeking legal counsel.

Mason says the ordeal has been difficult, but has also served as a life lesson.

“Understand that life is precious. Things can change at any given moment, any given time for any given reason, so I appreciate what I have, you know, the little things,” he said.

The suspect in the serial rape case, Van Dixson, was captured in Baton Rouge, Louisiana by U.S. Marshalls.

He is expected to be extradited back to Texas within the next few days so he can face charges of aggravated sexual assault.

(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Latest News:

Top Trending: