DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Dallas Independent School District board trustees held a special meeting Saturday to discuss the findings of an independent investigation regarding Superintendent Mike Miles.
The findings of the report were released earlier this week. The report was conducted by former U.S. Attorney Paul Coggins and found that Miles violated district policy and possibly the terms of his contract as superintendent.
Before the meeting began, more than a dozen protestors stood outside calling for Miles’ resignation.
The board was set to discuss the findings of the report in a closed session, but as the meeting began, Trustee Carla Ranger called for a motion to hold the meeting in open session.
The motion was denied in a 6-2 vote, in which trustees and their legal counsel said they would be discussing a personnel matter concerning the superintendant so the meeting should remain closed.
Ranger argued the information from the report is public record and should be discussed in open session.
Finally, the public was dismissed from the board chambers.
Community activist Joyce Foreman was one of several protestors behind Ranger’s motion to make to hold the meeting in open session.
“We want to send the board a very strong message that we do not think that Superintendent Miles is the guy for this job,” Foreman said. “We are here and we plan to stay here until we run Mike Miles out of town.”
Five hours later, the board returned to adjourn their closed door meeting.
No action was taken during the meeting.
After the meeting, Board President Eric Cowan did not say much about what was discussed and would only say the board “discussed the report in detail.”
The board now plans to sit down with Superintendent Mike Miles for a meeting to discuss the report behind closed doors Thursday.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Flower Mound Police Seek Help Identifying Suspect For Failing To Render Aid
- New At DFW Airport: Therapy Dogs
- A&M Student Hit Police Car After Taking Topless Snapchat Pic For Boyfriend
- Suspect Arrested In Destruction Of Trump’s Star
- Apple Updates MacBook Pro With Keyboard Touch Bar
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time