DPS Starts Saturday Hours To Issue Voter ID Cards
AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Nearly 50 Department of Public Safety offices across Texas will open on Saturdays to issue election identification certificates ahead of voting in November.
The agency announced Friday that the extended hours are only for those who need an ID in order to vote on Nov. 5. The offices will not transact any other business.
Texas will hold a referendum on proposed amendments to the Texas Constitution. It’s the first statewide election where officials will enforce a law requiring voters to produce a photo ID card to vote. To obtain a Voter ID, applicants must bring documentation that will verify U.S. citizenship, be a Texas resident and be 18 years old by the date of the election. If not, the state will furnish them. The law is under court challenge.
Election judges will accept driver’s licenses, concealed handgun licenses, U.S. passports, military IDs or naturalization certificates with a photo. Anyone who does not have one of those documents may apply for a free election ID on Saturdays thru Nov. 2. Only certain DPS offices will open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays.
No action is necessary for people who are registered to vote and already have an approved form of ID, such as a driver’s license.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Rangers Put 1B/OF Blanks On DL, Add OF Smolinski
- Fracking To Resume In Denton After Local Ban Nullified By State
- Free Concert In McKinney To Benefit Veterans This Weekend
- AP Sources: Goodell Will Not Recuse Self From Brady Appeal
- Harlem Globetrotter Legend Who Lived In Plano Passes Away
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time
Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In: