Police Officer Shoots Thief Caught In The Act
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A couple of Dallas police officers working a car burglary found themselves in the middle of a robbery overnight in the Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs area.
The officers say they were working undercover in the 2800 block of Oak Lawn Ave when a woman got out of an SUV, screaming for help as a man was trying to rob another man who was in the vehicle. When one of the officers let the robber know he was a police officer, the man ran at him with a gun.
“In fear for his life,” according to a statement from police, the officer shot the suspect. He was identified as Brian Branch, 31. Branch was struck on the right side but continued to try to evade the officers on foot. Police apprehended him as he collapsed in the 2900 block of Shelby Avenue. Branch was taken to Parkland Hospital by Dallas Fire and Rescue where he remains in critical condition Saturday night.
Branch is charged with aggravated assault and aggravated robbery.
The second suspect fled and is still at large. No one else was hurt. The officer who opened fire was not named.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Report: Matthews Agrees To Four-Year Deal With The Mavs
- Police Chase Ends In Mountain Creek Lake; 2 Arrested
- Johnson County On Alert After Fourth Of July Terror Attack Warning
- When Watching Kids In The Pool, Where You Sit Matters
- Family Of 3 Siblings Who Drowned Need Money For Funerals
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time