99 Years For Fort Worth Gangster Who Shot Up House Party
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – It only took a jury about four hours to agree that a North Texas gang member used an assault rifle to open fire on a rival gang’s house party. The 2011 incident left a young mother dead and seven others wounded.
Jacob Cordero was convicted on one count of murder and one count of engaging in organized criminal activity. The 22-year-old was also found guilty of seven counts of aggravated assault and seven counts of engaging in organized criminal activity.
Before deliberations Friday jurors heard how on October 22, 2011 Cordero was beaten up at a Fort Worth shopping center by a member of a rival gang. A few hours later Cordero found out the gang was having a party at a house on Frazier Avenue. Deciding to retaliate he went to the house and fired 26 shots into the crowd with an AK-47 style rifle.
Christina Davila was shot and died at the scene. While the 21-year-old woman was dating a member of the rival gang, she was also the mother of two children fathered by a member of Cordero’s gang.
It took more than eight months for police to gather enough evidence to arrest and charge Cordero. “This defendant might have gotten away with this cowardly act if not for the persistence of Fort Worth homicide,” said Prosecutor Michelle Dobson.
Cordero was sentenced to 99 years in prison on two counts for Davila’s death and 50 years in prison on the 14 other counts involving the wounded victims. The sentences will run concurrently.
- Gas Prices Drop Across Texas Amid Busy Travel Time
- Goodell And Smith Meet On NFL Personal Conduct Policy
- Airlines Prepare For Storm In Northeast
- College Football Spotlight: A Time To Be Thankful For Rivalries
- Performers Announced For College Football Playoffs Concert
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time