STEPHENVILLE (CBSDFW.COM) – The trial for the man accused of murdering America’s deadliest sniper and his friend back is still scheduled to start next month.
Eddie Ray Routh, is charged with two counts of capital murder for the alleged shooting of former Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield.
Routh, a former Marine and Iraqi war veteran, appeared in court Monday afternoon for a pre-trial hearing — amid tight security. Police blocked roads as he was brought to the courthouse. He was ushered into the courtroom wearing leg chains.
Routh’s attorneys told the judge they will need to review as many as six thousand pages of prosecution evidence including medical records, crime scene photos and other items to prepare for trial. Defense attorneys also indicated they will file several motions ahead of the anticipated October 21 trial date.
For now, the judge decided to keep the scheduled trial date, but suggested it could be pushed back if either side needs more time to get ready. The judge has also issued a restrictive order in this case, banning attorneys from speaking to the media. Littlefield’s family was in the courtroom for today’s hearing, but declined to comment on the case.
In February, Kyle and Littlefield went with Routh to an Erath gun range for lessons when the 25-year-old allegedly shot them and then fled the scene in Kyle’s pickup truck. He was captured a few hours later in his sister’s home in Lancaster. Routh had been diagnosed with PTSD, which is likely to be used as part of his defense.
- Storm Lingering In Southern Plains; More Flooding Possible
- On-Duty Dallas Police Officer Arrested For Suspicion Of DWI
- Oklahoma Bashes Oklahoma State 58-23 In Bedlam
- LSU Defeat Texas A&M 19-7
- Arlington Homicide Detectives Investigating 20-Year-Old Man’s Death
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time