DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Moving around the Metroplex is about to get easier because, now, there’s an app for that. The GoPass is officially on track, changing the way that public transit riders book and board. It marks a huge change for folks who regularly ride around DFW using transportation services.
Instead of relying on paper tickets, riders can now use the GoPass app to purchase a ticket, plan a route and check arrival times.
GoPass is the first public transit ticket-purchasing app in the nation that involves multiple agencies and different types of transportation. It is a combined effort between DART in Dallas County, The T in Tarrant County and the DCTA in Denton County.
After riders download the free app, they can set up an account using a debit or credit card, and then start buying tickets. The app also helps people plan trips by seeing routes mapped out. It lists arrival and departure times, and even shows upcoming events.
“We bank on our smartphones. We buy coffee on our phones. We buy lots of things on our smartphones,” stated DART spokesman Morgan Lyons. “Why not buy our transit tickets?”
GoPass launched Tuesday on the iTunes App Store for iPhone and Google Play store for Android. Since then, the app has been downloaded by more than 2,500 people — and more than half of those were over this past weekend alone.
Officials hope that the GoPass app will help increase the number of people who ride public transportation in the DFW area.
- University Park Police Looking For Thief Seen In Viral Chase Video
- Ibaka, DeRozan Lead Raptors Past Mavericks 94-86
- Second Time In 3 Months Hulen Mall Has Been Locked Down
- Oregon Tops Kansas 74-60 To Advance To First Final Four In 78 Years
- Keating Wins Runoff Election For Frisco City Council Position
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time