McALLEN (AP) – Federal authorities have arrested a man they say is linked to the hacker collective Anonymous and who allegedly broke into a South Texas county website.
The Monitor of McAllen reports Fidel Salinas Jr. remains in federal custody awaiting a detention hearing after being arrested last week by the FBI. Salinas faces a charge of accessing a protected computer without authorization.
Court documents indicate the Hidalgo County website was hacked on Jan. 5, 2012.
Authorities say Salinas initially told investigators he was just checking to see if he could get into the website to alert network administrators of security problems. Salinas allegedly later told FBI agents that he would often talk to members of Anonymous.
Court records did not list an attorney for Salinas.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dallas Dog Mauling Victim’s Family Seeks $5M From City
- Amazon Cancels Subscription Due To Frequent Returns
- Family Says Funeral Home Mixed Up Veteran’s Ashes
- Baylor Demotes Starr, Fires Coach Amid Sex Assaults Scandal
- Highway 80 Near Forney Shut Down In Both Directions
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time