McALLEN (AP) – Federal authorities have arrested a man they say is linked to the hacker collective Anonymous and who allegedly broke into a South Texas county website.
The Monitor of McAllen reports Fidel Salinas Jr. remains in federal custody awaiting a detention hearing after being arrested last week by the FBI. Salinas faces a charge of accessing a protected computer without authorization.
Court documents indicate the Hidalgo County website was hacked on Jan. 5, 2012.
Authorities say Salinas initially told investigators he was just checking to see if he could get into the website to alert network administrators of security problems. Salinas allegedly later told FBI agents that he would often talk to members of Anonymous.
Court records did not list an attorney for Salinas.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Friends Remember Men Allegedly Killed By Teacher
- Justin Timberlake’s Ballot Selfie Highlights Mixed Voting Laws
- World Series Game 2 Start Moved Up An Hour, Rain In Forecast
- DART Approves 2 Expansion Projects At Same Time
- Memorial Planned For Victims Of Fort Worth Double Murder
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time