KELLER (CBS 11 NEWS) – For several minutes Thursday morning, students and teachers at Keller Independent School District connected in a way they’ve never before.
Students walked outside right after 9 a.m., and one by one started holding hands.
“We stood for something all at the same time…all together,” says Hillwood Middle School teacher Dorothy Loftin.
The district is tackling bullying and launched a new campaign dubbed “Reaching Out with Character and Kindness,” or “R.O.C.K.”
Thirty-three thousand students joined hands at 39 schools across the district and connected so no student feels alone.
The display was a show of unity to eliminate bullying and harassment.
“It means that we are all one team together and that we are alike and we shouldn’t bully each other,” says 8th grader at Hillwood Morgan Gutchess. “This is why we are doing it. So that it will stop it.”
Alex Ederson is a 8th grader and he understands the importance of the day.
He says he has been bullied and called names when he was younger.
Ederson says it made him feel, “Upset. Angry.”
The district wants every student to know they’re not alone. By joining hands, they’re all taking a stand.
“It symbolizes that we are all friends. We are equal. I can’t hurt you,” says Loftin. “If I’m going to hold your hand here, if I’m going to say that we are friends, then I’m not going to turn around and do something mean to you.”
Teachers say they will incorporate the message in their classrooms. The district will also start showing anti-bullying videos starting in October.
- Keidel: Surging Steelers Still Lucky To Not Face Rodgers
- SportsLine’s Top Weekend Picks
- Patterson Signs New Deal To Stay At TCU Through 2023 Season
- Salvation Army Angel Trees Looking For Donations
- Dallas Police Searching For Murder Suspect
- Greyhound Passengers Complain Sick Rider Allowed To Stay On Bus
- Carroll ISD Opting Out Of Federal Lunch Program
- TCU College Freshman Is Just 11 Years Old
- Guyer High School Football Player Remembered
- City Of Fort Worth Demolished Wrong Home For A Second Time