1080 KRLD 'Your Hometown' live today from Globe Life Park in Arlington | Your Hometown Stories | Listen Live

Lawyer Believes Concussion Deal Will Succeed

A general view of the NFL logo on the field at Texas Stadium on December 31, 2006 in Irving, Texas. (credit: Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

(credit: Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A lawyer who filed the first concussion lawsuit against the NFL says the league stepped up to the plate, and the game will be better because of the litigation.

Philadelphia lawyer Sol Weiss believes the proposed $675 million settlement will go through, allowing retired players to begin getting payments within 18 months.

The deal could be nixed if too many ex-players opt out to sue individually.

But Weiss, speaking at Villanova Law School on Thursday, says they would face an uphill battle in court. He thinks most will accept the deal.

The awards could reach $5 million for athletes with Lou Gehrig’s disease and $3 million for dementia cases, and includes medical testing for those without symptoms.

Senior U.S. District Judge Anita Brody must still approve the settlement, which was reached last month.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In:

Comments

More From CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Drip Pan: CBS Local App
Drip Pan: Weather App
Drip Pan: Video Player

Listen Live