ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Ryann Vancleave watched her young boys splashing in a puddle at Bowman Springs Park near Lake Arlington as they enjoyed the rain and cool temperatures Friday.
“Oh, it should definitely help some,” Vancleave said of the rain. “You know, get the grass to grow to be more soft for the kids to play on. Definitely thank God for some rain.”
Any rain is cause for celebration in drought stricken North Texas. It’s especially exciting when you get more rain in one day than you’ve seen the whole month of September.
But the National Weather Service measures their emotions a little differently. There, an inch of rain is a drop in the bucket.
“We’re still battling 2011,” said Mark Fox with the National Weather Service. “Remember how hot, how dry it was then? Well, we’re still trying to recharge. This is great but its not going to solve anything. At least not yet.”
The National Weather service says we’re still behind nine to ten inches of rain since 2011. That’s why Friday’s rains will not lift watering restrictions. In fact, we’re actually closer to more water restrictions than to lifting them altogether.
Fort Worth’s water department said lake levels are at 64 percent of their capacity.
If they drop to 60 percent capacity, you’ll be restricted to once a week watering.
And around the lakes, the parched ground will soak up the water before it can get into the reservoir.
“You see how soggy it is out here today,” Fox said as he pointed at the wet ground. “But if you take a shovel and go down a couple of inches it’s still going to be very dry. It’s a cumulative thing.”
But the rain is welcome. And for a while, at least, you can cut back on your water use in the yard.
“It’d be a good idea if you did get more than an inch of rain to turn off those sprinklers for a week or so,” Fox said. “And then kind of get back in the rotation. Every drop we save helps. Plus if we get the rain? That’s going to be even better.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Ted Cruz Declares Grassroots Conservatives Real Winners of New Hampshire
- Top 5 Tips For Buying Jewelry (In Time For Valentine’s Day)
- Women Robbed At Gunpoint Frustrated With Police Response
- Child Fighting For Life After Siblings Die In Crash
- Sex Assaults Up In Dallas; Police Say There’s More To The Story
- If You Can’t Beat ‘Em, Gig ‘Em
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- More Energy Used: AT&T Stadium Or Liberia?
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures