DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – One of the biggest pieces of President Obama’s federal healthcare law goes into effect next week. However, there is a lot of confusion about what’s on the way — and how you can sign up for health care.
Throughout North Texas right now, campaigns are underway to get residents signed up for health insurance. Door-to-door educators are canvassing North Texas neighborhoods making sure everyone knows that they must have health insurance by 2014, and telling them where they can find it.
“Millions of people in Texas are going to qualify for affordable health insurance, which begins October 1, which is next week, said Allison Brim from the Texas Organizing Project. “There are three million in Texas we believe qualify…we believe don’t have health insurance right now, so we’re trying to reach as many as possible.”
The City of Arlington’s official news website offers a message from Mayor Robert Cluck about the Affordable Care Act. Dr. Cluck and others are sending people the healthcare marketplace – a national website of private plans. It’s the same place Allison Brim and The Texas Organizing Project are directing residents toward, to find out what kind of insurance they need and can afford. Community care clinics like Los Barrios Unidos in West Dallas are signing up patients for health insurance coverage many have never had previously. They too are pushing the marketplace.
“What I’m pleased about with the marketplace, there’s a palate of products. You pick one that’s right for you and your family,” said Leonor Marquez.
Click here to visit healthcare.gov to learn more about the health insurance plans that may work best for your and your family.
The “Texas Organizing Project” is also holding community workshops on health insurance choices. The next meeting is Thursday, September 26, at 6:30 p.m. at the Irving Central Library.
- Dallas Homeowner Fights Off Home Invasion
- Little Elm Community Continues To Mourn Ahead Of Fallen Detective’s Funeral
- Brady Leads Patriots Back To Super Bowl With Win Over Steelers 36-17
- Ground Stop Lifted, United Airlines Flights Set To Resume
- Falcons Dominate Packers 44-21 For NFC Title
- If You Can’t Beat ‘Em, Gig ‘Em
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- More Energy Used: AT&T Stadium Or Liberia?
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures