Man Sentenced To 99 Years For Murder, Attempted Murder
Get Breaking News First
FORT WORTH ( CBSDFW.COM) – A 21 year-old man had only been out of jail on parole for four days when he murdered a longtime acquaintance and tried to murder a woman as she tried to get away, according to prosecutors.
It took a jury a total of five hours to convict and sentence Jose Acosta to 99 years in prison for the murder of Eduardo Bustos and 50 years in prison for the attempted capital murder for shooting Savana Rodriguez. The sentences will run concurrently.
Prosecutors say Acosta showed up at the couple’s Fort Worth apartment on October 9, 2011 and accused Bustos of being a snitch and sleeping with the mother of his children. Acosta pulled a gun on the couple, and fired it at Bustos three times when he charged at him. Acosta also fired at Rodriguez one, hitting her in the hip. She testified at trial that Acosta tried to shoot her a second time, but the gun would not fire.
“This man went to Eduardo’s and Savana’s home under the guise of friendship – knowing all along that he planned on killing them,” said Prosecutor Tamla Ray. “This jury made sure that he would never be in the position to inflict pain on another member of our community.”
When Fort Worth police brought in Acosta for questioning about the shooting, he tried to erase the digital recording and tamper with the video recorder to destroy evidence.
Prosecutors also told the jury that he was also a gang member with previous convictions for assault against a family member, attempted burglary and evading arrest.
- Cowboys Surviving Without Sacks, But Can It Last?
- Baptist Church Youth Leader Arrested For Indecent Exposure
- TCU Showing Pride For Former Ebola Patient Nina Pham
- Prayers Answered By Nurse Nina Pham’s Return To Texas
- Trailer & Tools Stolen From Business Owner Who Employs Vets
- If You Can’t Beat ‘Em, Gig ‘Em
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- More Energy Used: AT&T Stadium Or Liberia?
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures