North Texans Eagerly Awaiting Big Tex’s Reveal
FAIR PARK (CBSDFW.COM) - Ever since Big Tex burned to the ground one year ago, fans of the State Fair of Texas have been eagerly anticipating the arrival of his replacement.
Fair organizers promised he’d be back in time for the 2013 fair, new and improved.
The Monday before the first day of the fair usually marks the debut for Big Tex, but not this year. This year, the iconic giant cowboy is hiding out in a tent, under security 24/7.
He won’t debut until Friday at 2 p.m. The public is invited to gather for the reveal. He will stand 55 feet tall, three feet taller than his predecessor.
Big Tex will tip the scales at a whopping 25,000 lbs, 19,000 pounds heavier the before. His shirt will still be made by Dickey, and his Lucchese boots will stand 12 feet tall. Even Big Tex Circle is new, with cacti landscaping and seating. No more hydraulic controls; his computer-controlled movements will be smooth, and he’s found a new voice. Sue Gooding, with the State Fair of Texas, says they wanted Big Tex to keep a low profile, because there wasn’t a lot of time to build him. So she’s not even hinting at who the manufacturers may be.
“We’re guilty. We’ve played it up to a hilt. We did keep everything a secret because we knew if we released where he was built, they would be bombarded,” Gooding said. Meanwhile, many people have spotted his boot prints around town, at popular sight seeing locations, letting everyone know BigTex is ready to rise once again.
“I have seen him. He looks fantastic,” Gooding said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 4 Injured In Grayson County Plane Crash
- Dallas Family Makes It Out Of Burning Home Uninjured
- Mother Arrested For Abandoning 7-Year-Old Daughter After Evening At The Spa
- Fort Worth Demolishes Homeless Camp, Scattering 80 People
- Police: 2 Dead, 1 Hurt In Dallas Biker Gang Shooting
- If You Can’t Beat ‘Em, Gig ‘Em
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- More Energy Used: AT&T Stadium Or Liberia?
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures