DALLAS (AP) – Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings has apologized for the racially charged police shooting 40 years ago of a 12-year-old Mexican boy who was shot in the back of the head.
The Dallas Morning News reports Rawlings apologized Saturday for the death of Santos Rodriguez.
Rawlings says “there’s no excuse” for the lack of an apology for the 1973 shooting. He added that “we wholeheartedly apologize” for Rodriguez’s death.
Rodriguez and his 13-year-old brother were in a police car being questioned about a burglary when he was shot in the back of the head by Darrell Cain, a police officer at that time. Cain was sentenced to five years in prison.
Mexican Americans have long been angered by the case, and as the 40-year anniversary approached demanded an apology.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stars Fall To Capitals In Overtime 4-3
- New Wave Of Sightings Marks Ongoing Effort To Capture Plano’s Stray Dogs
- British Prime Minister Theresa May To Visit Trump Friday
- Many Arrested Inauguration Day Protesters Will Face Felony Rioting Charges, Prosecutors Say
- Community Welcomes Home Wylie Football Player Who Had Stroke
- If You Can’t Beat ‘Em, Gig ‘Em
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- More Energy Used: AT&T Stadium Or Liberia?
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures