Rios Becomes Latest Ranger To Hit For Cycle
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) — “A good night at the plate” – that’s how Alex Rios characterized his 4-for-4 performance in which he hit for the cycle.
But history shows that Rios’ night was much more than just a “good night” – it was something special.
Rios became just the seventh player in Rangers history to hit for the cycle with a sixth-inning triple in just his fourth plate appearance.
“We were conscious of it. As soon as he hit it, we were yelling from the bench ‘triple, triple, triple,’” said Ron Washington after the game. “He can run for a big man.”
Rios glided into third without a throw.
Since the start of 2010, five AL hitters have accomplished the feat – three of whom are Rangers.
Adrian Beltre did so in going 4-for-4 on Aug. 24 of last season against the Twins in Arlington. Beltre needed just a seventh-inning single to complete the cycle, the second of his career.
Bengie Molina accomplished the feat in much more dramatic fashion at Fenway Park in Boston on July 16, 2010. The slow-footed Molina needed a triple in the eighth inning – and he delivered.
With just the sixth triple of his career, Molina became the first catcher since 1900 to hit for the cycle.
The fans in Arlington gave Rios a standing ovation when he returned to the field in the seventh, which Rios said gave him goosebumps.
In postgame interviews, Derek Holland sat patiently at his locker, waiting for the media to make its way over. He did after all just throw the second complete game shutout of the Rangers’ season.
“Alex Rios is the star today with the cycle. That was huge.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. )
- Chris Kirk Clenches Victory At Colonial In Fort Worth
- Josh Hamilton Rejoins The Rangers Monday
- Colonial: Kevin Na, Ian Poulter Go Head To Head In Ft. Worth
- Rangers Ride 10-Run 3rd Inning in 15-4 Rout of Yankees
- Are Injured Veterans Worth The Risk In Fantasy Baseball?
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- More Energy Used: AT&T Stadium Or Liberia?
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures