DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Big Tex is not the only big attraction at this year’s State Fair of Texas. The Chinese Lanterns have arrived for when the fair gates open on Friday, but CBS 11 News is giving you an early look at the colorful and cultural display.
More than 40 artists from China came to North Texas to create these beautiful scenes. “The team we brought over — more than 40 artisans from China — are experts in their field, the world’s best at this particular folk art,” stated Wayne Adam, director of marketing for the Chinese Lantern Festival.
- Chinese Lanterns Among State Fair Attractions
- Colorful Displays At Chinese Lantern Festival
- Imperial Dragon Boat At Chinese Lantern Festival
- Chinese Lantern Festival Features Intricate Pieces
- Chinese Lantern Festival Is Best In The Dark
The Chinese Lantern display costs $14 for adults — paid during the State Fair using food and drink coupons. But the exhibit will continue on certain days in October after the State Fair is over, for a higher price. So, the best time to check out the lanterns is during the State Fair. And while the display is amazing no matter when you see it, the lanterns look especially stunning in the dark, when they light up.
“We’re using the new CFL bulbs, which are compact fluorescents,” said Adam. “So, it’s a lot less drain on the power grid.”
There are also opportunities to see live acrobatic shows, watch folk artists make creative pieces, taste some authentic Chinese food, and get some great souvenirs and gifts.
- Thousands Of People Pay Final Respects To Barbara Bush
- Dallas County Nearly Doubles Couple’s Property Value
- North Korea Says It Has Suspended Nuclear, Missile Testing
- Railroad Commissioner Responds To Dallas Mayor’s Comments
- Former President George Bush Greets Those Saying Goodbye To Former First Lady
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures