Cornyn Lauds Cruz But Won’t Support Gov’t Shutdown
Get Breaking News First
AUSTIN (AP) — U.S. Sen. John Cornyn is congratulating his Texas colleague Ted Cruz for a “remarkable 21-hour performance.” But he still says he can’t support provoking a government shutdown to halt funding for Obamacare.
Cruz, who like Cornyn is a Republican, spoke all night on the Senate Floor.
It was part of his doomed-to-fail attempt to keep Senate Democrats from stripping the repeal of the White House-backed health care law from an emergency spending measure that funds the government. Doing so might have provoked a government shutdown when the current budget runs out next week.
Cornyn told reporters after Cruz finished Wednesday that while he remains “committed to defunding Obamacare, I’m also committed to avoiding a government shutdown.”
He said a shutdown would benefit Democrats while failing to stop funding for Obamacare.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Rangers, Darvish Hold On In 4-2 Yankees Win
- Standing Room Only At Collin County Meeting About Immigrant Children
- Disrespected Dez? The Anatomy Of A Cowboys Non-Story
- Recent Drownings Reminder For Parents To Stay Vigilant
- Jury In Jesse Ventura/Chris Kyle Case To Return Tuesday
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures