FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Two city leaders have put their pride on the line in a friendly wager over a college football game. SMU plays TCU in Fort Worth at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday in the traditional Iron Skillet rivalry matchup. The two schools have played each other in all but six seasons since 1915.
TCU and SMU are no longer in the same conference, but the schools agreed to continue the tradition through the 2017 season. Home field advantage alternates between the two teams — but plenty of fans from both universities venture across the Metroplex to be in attendance each year. The Horned Frogs hold a slight edge over the Mustangs, with a record of 45-40-7. The winner receives the Iron Skillet trophy for a year, until the two teams meet again.
But there is more on the line this time, at least for Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings and Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price. Whichever person’s team loses the game will be providing a catered lunch to the winning team’s city council. “It’s always fun to add a little more to our old Iron Skillet rivalry, and Mike and I have no qualms about razzing each other over football,” said Price.
If the Mustangs win on Saturday, Price will be delivering food from Joe T. Garcia’s Mexican Restaurant to the Dallas City Council. Established in 1935, it has become one of the most popular and highly regarded restaurants in Fort Worth.
But if the Horned Frogs can cash in on their home field advantage and winning record, Rawlings will be delivering food from Pecan Lodge to the Fort Worth City Council. The eatery opened in 2010, and quickly earned praise as one of the best barbeque joints in the state.
“We don’t have our starting quarterback, but I’m confident in our Horned Frogs,” said Price. “I have three words for Mayor Rawlings: Fear… The… Frog!”
“TCU may be the favorites in the eyes of the oddsmakers, but our Mustangs are poised for victory,” retorted Rawlings. “I have three words for Mayor Price: Fear… The… Upset!”
- Approximately 175 Homes Without Gas Service After Line Damaged In Garland
- Patriots’ Brady Misses Practice With Right Hand Injury
- Nick Foles And Case Keenum Have Strong Career Connections
- Police Identify Remains Found In Mansfield
- New Video Aims To Encourage Texans To Fight Against Human Trafficking
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Airport’s New Parking System Overcharging Thousands Of Drivers
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures