Ex-Con Recieves 60 Years For Beating His Grandmother
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A 43-year-old ex-con was sentenced to 60 years in prison on Thursday for beating his 85-year-old grandmother during an all-night drunken rage last year.
Jurors deliberated about two hours on Wednesday before finding James Dolan Osborne guilty of one count of assault on a family member by choking with a prior family violence conviction and one count of injury to the elderly.
On Thursday, the jury deliberated just 40 minutes before sentencing Osborne to 60 and 20 years in prison, respectively. The sentences will run concurrently. The jury also assessed the maximum $10,000 fine on both counts.
During the trial in state district Judge Ruben Gonzalez’s court, prosecutors Lucas Allan and Kim D’Avignon presented evidence that Osborne moved in with his “Memaw” and his uncle in September of 2012. Shortly after he moved into their Fort Worth home, Osborne’s uncle was hospitalized with leukemia, leaving Osborne alone in the house with his elderly grandmother.
On the night of October 9, 2012, ‘Memaw’ was tidyng up her son’s room, preparing for his return home from the hospital, when Osborne walked in, threatened to kill her and began beating her. For the next five hours, Osborne alternated between drinking and beating Memaw. At one point, he choked her until she became unconscious.
About 5 a.m., after Osborne fell asleep, Memaw escaped and hid outside her neighbor’s house. When the neighbor came out to take his daughter to school the next morning, Memaw begged him for help. The neighbor took the woman to the hospital and authorities were called.
James Dolan Osborne Osborne was arrested, charged and indicted for the brutal assault on his grandmother. During the punishment phase of the trial, prosecutors presented evidence of Osborn’s prior criminal history, which included prior convictions for aggravated assault, assaults on family members, possession and delivery of drugs and driving while intoxicated, among others.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Family Sues Hospital After Claiming Misdiagnosis Led To Death Of Mother
- Cosby Admits In Court Documents He Intended To Drug Women For Sex
- Construction Underway On New Grapevine Public Safety Center
- As Republican Infighting Grows, Donors Call For Calm
- J.J. Barea Agrees To 2-Year, $5.6 Mil Deal With Mavs
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures