FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Police say a potential mass shooting at a McDondald’s was averted Tuesday night when a man’s gun malfunctioned inside the eatery despite pulling the trigger multiple times.
Surveillance video captured Jestin Anthony Joseph entering the McDonald’s at 4800 South Freeway and asking one of the cashiers for a water cup.
“I’ve never seen a video like this before,” said Sgt. Joe Loughman. “My gut feeling is that the city of Fort Worth and the Fort Worth police department avoided a major tragedy on Tuesday night.”
Witnesses told police Joseph was mumbling as he walked to the water fountain.
Joseph, who claimed that “people are after him,” said his only intention was to get some water but “somebody said something” and he lost it.
The would-be robber pulled a handgun on several diners and employees; demanding their property but the gun misfired. He then fled south on foot and police caught him running along the service road.
A witness told police that Joseph threw the gun as he fled the McDonald’s. Officers later recovered it.
Joseph was booked into the Fort Worth Jail on five charges of aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon. He is currently being held on $500,000 in bond.
McDonald’s released the following statement about the incident:
“We are extremely grateful that no one was hurt during the situation that occurred on our property Tuesday evening. The safety of our customers and employees is extremely important, and we are fully cooperating with the police department in their ongoing investigation.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Oklahoma State And Colorado Off To Alamo Bowl
- North Texas To Play In Heart Of Dallas Bowl Against Army
- Oklahoma Set To Face Auburn In Sugar Bowl
- Death Toll Hits 30 In Oakland Warehouse Fire
- Officials: 3 Remain Hospitalized After West Texas Bus Crash
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures