Reports: Davis Will Have Her Name On Gubernatorial Ballot
Get Breaking News First
NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – During her marathon filibuster at the State Capitol this summer, Democratic Senator Wendy Davis of Fort Worth took on Republicans to block new abortion restrictions.
It was a temporary victory.
But now, sources tell the Associated Press, she’ll fight Republicans again — to become Texas’ next Governor.
While Davis’ campaign isn’t confirming she’ll run, they’ve issued an advisory saying she’ll make her campaign announcement next Thursday afternoon at the Wiley G. Thomas Coliseum in Haltom City. It’s the same place where she received her high school diploma.
Political experts say Davis wouldn’t be preparing for this if she were running for re-election for her State Senate seat.
At 19, Davis became a single mom, but ultimately graduated from Harvard Law School. The now 50 year old has become a Democratic star nationwide. Ever since her filibuster, her party has urged her to run.
Political analyst John Weekley says timing is everything in politics. “The iron is hot, and if she’s going to make a national debut, this is a great way to do it.”
Davis raised nearly $1 million in the week after the filibuster. Weekley believes she will continue to generate a lot of excitement among the grass roots of her party, and will raise tens of millions of dollars.
But many analysts say Davis’ candidacy will likely be a long-shot against the Republican frontrunner, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, who’s already raised more than $20 million.
Weekley says, “The votes just aren’t there for a Democratic candidate statewide just yet. I think it’s going to be several years before Texas does turn blue.” But Weekley believes Davis will do better than past Democrats who ran for governor.
Next month, President Obama is scheduled to attend two Democratic fundraisers in Dallas. Some analysts expect the President will help Davis’ campaign.
- Living Large: The Estate on Beverly
- Court Martial For Fort Hood Officer Accused In Prostitution Ring
- NASCAR Chase Outsiders Not Leaving Anything To Chance
- ISIS Email Demanded Release Of Neuroscientist From Texas Jail
- Allen Police Searching For Armed Bank Robbery Suspect
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures