NEW YORK (AP) – Starbucks has filed a trademark application for the term “Fizzio” as it continues its test of carbonated drinks.
The Seattle-based coffee company says in the filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office that the name would be for beverage-making machines, as well as a variety of drinks, including soft drinks.
Zack Hutson, a spokesman for Starbucks, said Wednesday that the filing is related to the company’s test of sodas in Atlanta and Austin, which started in June. Starbucks Corp. has been testing three flavors at the locations — Lemon Ale, Original Ginger Ale and Spiced Root Beer. It is also giving customers the option to carbonate other drinks, such as iced tea and iced coffee, at no extra charge.
“So far the response from customers in the test markets has been positive,” Hutson said.
The soda tests mark the latest move by Starbucks to expand beyond coffee. The company is also looking to move into the fast-growing premium juice category with its Evolution Fresh juices. It also recently acquired a chain of tea shops called Teavana, saying tea represents a big growth opportunity.
Starbucks has more than 19,000 locations around the world, with about 12,000 of them in the U.S.
In afternoon trading, shares of Starbucks Corp. slipped 12 cents to $76.42. The stock is trading near the top of its 52-week range of $44.27 to $77.84, and is up about 43 percent since the start of the year.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Safety Concerns Return To School Bus Stop Along Harry Hines Boulevard
- Country Stars From Vegas Festival To Perform Grammy Tribute
- Wyndham Buying Texas-Based La Quinta For $1.95 Billion
- Lawmakers Ask If States Or Feds Should Handle Missile Alerts
- NTSB: High Speed, Slow Rotor Led To Ellis County Helicopter Crash
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures