Would-Be McDonald’s Robber Claims To Have ‘Lost His Mind’
Get Breaking News First
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - Fort Worth Police say the city avoided a major tragedy on Tuesday night, when a man armed with a semi-automatic gun walked into a McDonald’s, pointed the gun at people and pulled the trigger.
The fast food restaurant was busy at the time, with customers like Davage Armstrong and his son, who were ordering at the counter when the man with the gun walked in.
Police say Joseph went to the counter and asked for a cup, then went over to the drink fountain.
Police say he the pulled out a gun, and began pointing it at people, asking for keys.
Surveillance video shows Joseph approaching Armstrong, aiming the gun at him, and pulling the trigger multiple times.
As Armstrong’s son runs for cover, the father tries to wrestle the gun away.
Police say Armstrong’s efforts to stop the shooter gave other patrons time to flee.
Joseph then runs out, fires off a shot in the parking lot and returns inside. Police say he went in and out twice, before officers arrived and arrested him.
“I’m still in shock. Glad to be here. I’m thankful to God that I’m still here and able to tell y’all this,” said Armstrong, Thursday evening.
“I’m pretty sure he was going to kill me,” the father said, adding that his only thought was to keep his son safe and try to stop what was happening.
Joseph spoke to CBS 11 News from inside the jail. He didn’t deny his actions, but said he thought someone was after him, and in that moment, lost his mind.
“My intention was not to go in there to do this. That’s what I’m trying to tell you. My intention was to get a cup of water and get out, but somebody said something, and I lost it,” Joseph said.
Joseph remains in jail on $500,000 bond.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Unless RG3 Is ready, McCoy Will Start Against Cowboys
- Michael Irvin: Cowboys Imposing Their Will On Defenses
- 10 Best Tweets Trashing Eli Manning After Loss To Cowboys
- Wendy Davis Votes Early, Rejects Talk Of Long Odds
- Upsets Leave Big 12’s College Playoff Chances In Peril
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures