AUSTIN (AP) – Ted Cruz is heading back to Texas, fresh off a 21-plus hour speech on the U.S. Senate floor that left his already burning-bright political star white-hot.
The tea party darling and possible 2016 GOP presidential candidate is keynoting an Austin conference of political newsmakers Friday evening.
He rose in the Senate on Tuesday and talked all night and into the following afternoon, yielding only to fellow Republicans who posed long-winded questions so Cruz could rest his voice.
Cruz has vowed to halt funding to the White House-backed health care reform law or shut down the government trying. But he knew before beginning his talkathon that it wouldn’t accomplish either goal.
The spectacle enraged many colleagues in both parties, but it made Cruz even more a hero among grassroots conservative activists.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bathroom Choice Debate Intensifies In North Texas
- Mosquitofish Inexpensive Ally In Zika Virus Fight
- Faksa Has Goal And Assist, Stars Beat Blues 2-1 In Game 1
- Cowboys’ Jaylon Smith – A Medical Risk But ‘Never Doubt God’
- Tornado Damages Buildings In East Texas
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures