Flower Mound Confirms First Case of West Nile Virus
FLOWER MOUND (CBSDFW.COM) – The Denton County Health Department epidemiologist has confirmed a Flower Mound resident has been positively diagnosed with West Nile virus. This is the first human case this year in the community. The Town of Flower Mound Environmental Services will increase surveillance and trapping operations in the approximate one-half square-mile radius surrounding the specified area.
If mosquito samplings test positive for West Nile virus, Flower Mound will schedule mosquito spraying in the approximate 1/2 square mile radius surrounding the area. Prior to any spraying event, the public within the affected area will be notified with community notification signs.
When it comes to protecting yourself and your family from mosquitoes, always remember the “Four D’s,” as follows:
Dusk and dawn are the times of day you should try to stay indoors. This is when mosquitoes are most active and are considered major feeding times.
Dress in long sleeves and pants when you are outside. For extra protection, you may want to spray thin clothing with repellent.
DEET is an ingredient to look for in your insect repellent. Always wear repellent when outdoors, and choose products that contain up to 20 percent DEET.
Drain standing water in your backyard and neighborhood – old tires, flower pots and clogged rain gutters. These are mosquito-breeding sites.
Flower Mound Environmental Services responds to all mosquito concerns with an inspection of the area, larvicidal treatment of any potential mosquito breeding areas, and increased efforts to eliminate areas of standing water. For more information, contact Flower Mound Environmental Services at 972.874.6340.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- High School Athletes Shoot For Clean Bill Of Health Before School
- Trains Silencing Horns Through Downtown Mesquite
- Mavs Sign First Round Draft Pick Justin Anderson
- Frisco Police Investigating Deadly Shooting
- Once MLB Trade Deadline Dust Settles, Your Fantasy Roster May Need Some Tweaks
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures