DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Fall has begun and that means we are also now in flu season. To that end, Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) is now offering seasonal flu vaccines for children and adults.
This years vaccination is all encompassing and offers protection against several flu strains — including the H1N1 virus. A Flu Mist, offering protection against four strains of the flu virus, is available for children ages two to 18.
DCHHS Director Zachary Thompson said, “There were two influenza-associated pediatric deaths in Dallas County in 2013. DCHHS is encouraging parents to get their children’s flu shots early while the flu vaccine supply is plentiful.”
While health experts aren’t expecting this flu season to be about the same as last year, the best ‘rule of thumb’ is to get vacinated. Only children younger than 6 months and those with severe allergies to eggs are advised not to get the vaccine.
Getting a flu shot early can actually be beneficial since it takes the body about two weeks after vaccination to develop and provide protection against the flu virus infection.
The vaccine is free for anyone eligible for Texas Vaccines for Children (TVFC) and is also provided at no cost for those covered by Medicare. The adult flu vaccine is $20.
The adult immunization clinic is located on the first floor of the DCHHS Building, at 2377 North Stemmons Freeway in Dallas. No appointment is necessary and the clinic is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The child flu vaccine is available at all DCHHS clinics.
- Napoli’s Return Alters Expected Roles For Some Young Rangers
- Jury Selection In John Wiley Price Corruption Trial Begins Tuesday
- Training Simulator At FWPD Gives Life-Saving Lesson
- 1 Dead In Lake Highlands Home Invasion
- North Texas Students Compete In Science Fair
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Click To Text In The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures