Couple Ties The Knot At The State Fair Of Texas
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – You might say Denise DeLaCruz took the ride of her life at the State Fair of Texas over the weekend.
She tied the knot there behind the food stand that she and her family have manned for almost 30 years.
“We work the entire fair, my sisters and I, my brother also. Mother and dad first got a stand 29 years ago. We introduced fajitas to the fair,” Denise said.
The couple had hoped to marry on the Fair’s opening Friday but had to wait a mandatory 72 hours, which would have been Saturday.
So the couple improvised, called in a minister and squeezed in a ceremony before their night shift.
“I put a white blazer on. He put a suit jacket on over our uniforms, just to make it a little formal,” she said.
DeLaCruz was hoping for a quiet, no frills ceremony in front of a few friends and family, but the ceremony quickly caught the attention of fair goers and a small crowd gathered.
It all happened under the watchful eye of Big Tex.
The quick ceremony took about 5 minutes. She and her husband, Juan DeLaCruz, were high school sweethearts and dated for 2 years before splitting up.
Seven years ago they were reunited by chance.
“He popped the question then and a month ago I said, ‘Okay, I’m ready,'” she said.
Now along with a new life together, they’ll start a new tradition: celebrating their anniversary at the State Fair.
“It’s wonderful. I’ll spend the rest of my life with him,” she said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- FBI, Benbrook Police Looking For Missing 9-Year-Old
- Sharp Limits On Media Access To Records Likely To Be Dropped
- Voluntary Evacuations In Kaufman County Over Bridge Concerns
- Folks Flock To Lake Arlington On Memorial Day
- Mansfield Police Officer Drives Donations To Omaha
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures