Amazon Hiring 70,000 Seasonal Workers
SEATTLE (CBSDFW.COM/AP) - Amazon said that it is hiring 70,000 full-time seasonal workers around the U.S. to fill orders over the holiday season.
The world’s largest online retailer said that the hires are an increase of 40 percent over last year’s 50,000 workers. Seasonal employees at Amazon order fulfillment centers are eligible for healthcare benefits and, on average, earn 94 percent of the wages of regular employees.
Amazon said that it plans to convert “thousands” of the temporary jobs into full-time roles after the holiday season.
The company has more than 40 fulfillment centers across the country, including two in North Texas — in Coppell and Haslet.
Tuesday’s announcement from the Seattle-based company follows seasonal hiring announcements from other large retailers. Walmart said last week that it is hiring 55,000 seasonal workers. It is also elevating 35,000 temporary workers to part-time positions and 35,000 part-time workers to full-time jobs.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Mavericks Embarrass Heat In 2nd Half, Win 93-72
- Prime Prep, Charter School Started By Deion Sanders Closed
- Judge To Rule On Motion To End Midland Veterans Parade Crash Trial
- Specialized Veterinary Care Worth The Price For Pet Owners
- Softball Team Plays For First Time Since Fatal Crash
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures