DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The superintendent of the Dallas Independent School District will report to work as scheduled on Tuesday. School board trustees met late into Monday night, but failed to get the votes necessary to fire Mike Miles. The school district now turns its focus on moving forward past the controversy.
An outside investigation had revealed that Miles interfered with a separate investigation on him, which violated policy.
Some members of the Board of Trustees wanted Miles to be fired. But the vote failed 3 to 5. During the Monday night meeting, which finally ended close to midnight, the Dallas ISD decided to let Miles keep his position as head of the school district, with some key changes made to his contract. He is no longer up for an automatic one-year contract extension for doing a good job. And when it comes to making any major decisions about an administration staff member’s job, Miles must first let the school board know about the situation.
Also, the school board performed an evaluation of Miles and determined that there are areas where he can improve. Miles has been given a 90-day growth plan as a part of the disciplinary action.
“As of tonight, we move on and work towards improving our distirct and repairing relationships,” said Eric Cowan, president of the Board of Trustees, just after the meeting.
Rena Honea is the president of teachers group Alliance-AFT. She stated, “While they have taken steps to try and make amends for what the superintendent has done, there’s still a lot out in the field that have no confidence in his leadership, and that’s going to be very difficult.”
Since Miles is now able to keep his job, Honea explained, it is in the best interest of the students and staff members to see that he is able to work well with everybody.
Miles did not offer any comments after the Monday night meeting, but he did agree to all of the terms.
- Plano Football Coaches Apologize For Dirty Hit In Denton Game
- Crime Spree Leaves Man Dead In Dallas And In Cedar Hill
- North Texas Wedding Photographer Ruins Brides Big Day
- At Each Other From The Start: Clinton, Trump Debate
- Dallas Police And Fire Pension Struggling
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures