DISD Superintendent Gives 1-On-1 Interview To CBS 11
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Dallas Schools Superintendent Mike Miles did not lose his job Monday night.
In a 3 to 5 vote, trustees who wanted to end Miles’ leadership with Dallas Independent School District failed.
On Tuesday, in an exclusive interview with CBS 11 News reporter Steve Pickett, Miles acknowledged a chasm between he and some trustees who believe he is no longer suitable for the job.
“The onus is on me to try to build a better relationship with the board, and that’s what I’m committed to doing”, Miles said.
The relationship between the Superintendent and elected trustees has been clouded with disputes over Miles’ plans for teachers, principals and schools.
A complaint filed against Miles by former Communications Chief Rebecca Rodriguez alleged Miles tried to manipulate a contract award to a specific vendor. Although cleared of Rodriguez’ claim, an external investigation found Miles violated district policy and his employment contract with two other actions.
For months, leaders of teacher groups and south Dallas education advocates pounced on Miles’ questionable hiring decisions and the investigation.
The Superintendent said he will accept the planned reprimand he’ll receive from trustees, and a change in his employment contract. “I’ve said I’ve made mistakes, and I’m responsible for everything that happens or doesn’t happen in the district”.
Some board members called Miles’ violations serious, but didn’t rise to the level of termination.
- AA Jet Makes Quick Stop After Cabin-Pressure Issue
- Wendy Davis Attacks Greg Abbott’s Pre-K Education Plan
- Residents Who Recorded West Plant Explosion Tell Story Behind Video
- Texas AG Greg Abbott Faces Death Penalty Choice
- Rubio To Texans: Terrorists Training In Syria May Strike U.S.
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures