CARROLLTON (CBSDFW.COM) — Police in Carrollton believe a missing grandfather and his two grandchildren are traveling north and may now be in Chicago.
57-year-old William Gomez, who suffers from a medical condition that periodically affects his memory, left his home with the two kids around 2:00 p.m. on Sunday.
Nicole Rodriguez with Carrollton Police says they have been able to follow the movements of Gomez by tracking a debit card tied to his bank account.
“We have been tracking his debit card use, and his debit card was used just a little bit ago in Chicago,” said Rodriguez on Tuesday morning.
Authorities have tracked Gomez’ movement to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana and now Illinois.
Police do not believe there is any foul play involved.
“We’ve got a bulletin going out and hopefully someone in Chicago will call 911 if they see him,” said Rodriguez.
Late Monday evening authorities confirmed that Gomez was seen on surveillance video at a Sears department store in Paducha, Kentucky. Mr. Gomez has his grandchildren with him.
Watching video from the store police also saw that the 57-year-old purchased underwear for the kids and asked for directions back to Dallas.
Family members say they are praying and staying close to the phone. Maria Gomez said she thought her husband was the children to the park just down the street from the family’s home. As hours passed and he didn’t return, she grew more and more worried.
“He stays home most of the time,” said Maria Gomez. She says he has a medical condition that periodically affects his memory.
“He had a tumor 10 or 12 years ago, and that’s the cause of his buildup of the fluid in his brain. And once in a while he gets like this. Most of the time, he’s okay.”
Gomez, with his 8- and 7-year old grandchildren are in the family’s white Jeep. Highway signs asked motorists to join in the search and many say they are doing just that.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Crews Looking Into Sink Hole On Haltom City Road
- North Texans Ready Themselves For Solar Eclipse
- 10 Sailors Missing After U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Ship
- Gonzalez Pitches 6 Scoreless, White Sox Hold Off Rangers 3-2
- Trump To Make Announcement On Strategy For Afghanistan
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures