IRVING (CBS 11 NEWS) – The Irving Convention Center in Las Colinas looked like a science fair Thursday afternoon.
Irving based Novation the largest hospital supply contractor in the country is behind the expo which put the future of medicine on display.
“I had kind of given up on walking,” says Tamara Mena from California “I’m still paralyzed from mid chest down.”
Mena, 27 wears a bionic suit which is helping her walk.
Nearly 8 years ago she says she was involved in a freak car crash.
“We thought we would be safer grabbing a taxi we were almost there and we struck a horse standing in the middle of the road,” says Mena describing that trip to the beach.
Her boyfriend and the cab driver didn’t make it.
Mena says she knows she is lucky and though she still can’t walk she says for just a few moments the suit allows her to take a few steps.
She’s able to wear the suit in rehab and is now a representative for the company Ekso Bionics.
“I instantly feel empowered,” says Mena smiling “It just feels really cool I feel taller.”
From Bionics to robots in hospitals the expo is helping showcase the future gadgets.
Kelton Temby with InTouch Health shows everyone how robots can be used in hospitals. Already about 20 hospitals around the Dallas/Fort Worth area have one.
He says doctors can use iPads to talk to patients through the robot anywhere in the country.
“You put this in the hospital and the hospital can provide new services so they can have new types of specialist available,” says Temby “It basically prevents you from needing to be shipped to another hospital or put in a helicopter.”
There were also a low dose CT scanner on display which can quickly produce 3D images to diagnose injuries to arms and legs without having a patient go through a full body scan.
And a physical therapy robot which can help stroke patients recover.
It’s all part of the future and the future has no doubt arrived.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Demonstrators Rally At Fort Worth Black Lives Matter Protest
- Moreland’s Game-Ending HR Gives Rangers 2-1 Over Royals
- More Than 600 Animals Rescued In July By SPCA Cruelty Investigators
- Army Report: Grenade Found In Room Of Dallas Gunman In 2014
- Cowboys Pay Tribute To Dallas Police Before Start Of Camp
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures