Davis Expected To Announce Gubernatorial Bid
HALTOM CITY (CBSDFW.COM/AP) - Fort Worth state Sen. Wendy Davis is expected to formally announce her campaign for Texas Governor on Thursday afternoon, becoming the first Democrat to make an official bid for statewide office.
Her campaign has been setting the stage at the Wiley G. Thomas Coliseum in Haltom City, the same civic center where Davis received her high school diploma. Davis has said that her experience going from a single teen mother to a successful Harvard Law School attorney informs her politics and her commitment to middle class Texans.
The launch on Thursday afternoon will start a long campaign to break an 18-year losing streak for Democrats seeking the statewide office in Texas. Attorney General Greg Abbott is the front-runner for the Republican nomination to replace retiring Gov. Rick Perry. Abbott has already raised $25 million, while Davis has a little over $1 million.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- CBS Sports’ Tony Gonzalez Talks Broncos vs. Dolphins
- Texas Auditor Criticizes Program Run By Schools
- Mother’s Intuition Screamed ‘Predator’ After Run-In With Child Abuser
- Traffic Alert: TxDOT Switching Lanes ON 75
- Traffic Switch Has Driver After Driver Crashing Into Berry Street Median
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures