Davis Expected To Announce Gubernatorial Bid
HALTOM CITY (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – Fort Worth state Sen. Wendy Davis is expected to formally announce her campaign for Texas Governor on Thursday afternoon, becoming the first Democrat to make an official bid for statewide office.
Her campaign has been setting the stage at the Wiley G. Thomas Coliseum in Haltom City, the same civic center where Davis received her high school diploma. Davis has said that her experience going from a single teen mother to a successful Harvard Law School attorney informs her politics and her commitment to middle class Texans.
The launch on Thursday afternoon will start a long campaign to break an 18-year losing streak for Democrats seeking the statewide office in Texas. Attorney General Greg Abbott is the front-runner for the Republican nomination to replace retiring Gov. Rick Perry. Abbott has already raised $25 million, while Davis has a little over $1 million.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Chris Kirk Clenches Victory At Colonial In Fort Worth
- No Holiday From the Storms
- Department Of Transportation Discouraging Memorial Day Road Travel
- Texas House Opts Not To Cut Tuition For Veterans And Their Children
- Firefighter Drowns Amid Oklahoma, Texas Flash Floods
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures