Davis Expected To Announce Gubernatorial Bid
HALTOM CITY (CBSDFW.COM/AP) - Fort Worth state Sen. Wendy Davis is expected to formally announce her campaign for Texas Governor on Thursday afternoon, becoming the first Democrat to make an official bid for statewide office.
Her campaign has been setting the stage at the Wiley G. Thomas Coliseum in Haltom City, the same civic center where Davis received her high school diploma. Davis has said that her experience going from a single teen mother to a successful Harvard Law School attorney informs her politics and her commitment to middle class Texans.
The launch on Thursday afternoon will start a long campaign to break an 18-year losing streak for Democrats seeking the statewide office in Texas. Attorney General Greg Abbott is the front-runner for the Republican nomination to replace retiring Gov. Rick Perry. Abbott has already raised $25 million, while Davis has a little over $1 million.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Mavericks Embarrass Heat In 2nd Half, Win 93-72
- Prime Prep, Charter School Started By Deion Sanders Closed
- Judge To Rule On Motion To End Midland Veterans Parade Crash Trial
- Specialized Veterinary Care Worth The Price For Pet Owners
- Softball Team Plays For First Time Since Fatal Crash
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures