FRISCO (CBSDFW.COM) – In the struggle between progress and preservation, the City of Frisco finds itself at another intersection. This time it’s Legacy and Warren. Work is underway at the west Frisco intersection to build a RaceTrac gas station.
The gas station will feature a 6,000-square-foot store with 10 pumps.
“It is not what this neighborhood wants or should have,” said Cynthia Figueroa, one of more than 20 nearby residents out protesting the development Thursday.
Figureroa said her major concerns are the gas fumes and the sale of alcohol so close to homes and schools. The gas station will be right next to Primrose Preschool.
“Our kids can’t walk to school here anymore,” said Rob Zivney, one of other protesters. “It’s planning moving so fast through the growth that it’s out of control.”
However, while neighbors said it’s all happen so fast, the land has been zoned for commercial use for nearly 30 years. “We are obligated to follow the zoning laws,” said Frisco Mayor Maher Maso. “That property has had zoning since the 1980s and we can’t just deny it.”
Maso said fighting it wouldn’t prevent the development and would likely only cost taxpayers more with the legal fees.
Frisco has been down similar roads before. Just last month hundreds flocked city hall to protest a proposed high-voltage power line set to run down the center of Stonebrook Parkway. The plan, at least in part due to the pushback by residents, has been put on hold by the Brazos Electric Power Cooperative.
Residents want to preserve their quite neighborhoods, while Frisco wants to grow.
In the just the past year, the city has attracted several corporations and even scored the Dallas Cowboys new training facility. Figueroa said, “It’s great that Frisco is growing but it has to be smart growth.”
- Fyre Fest Fiasco: Bahamas Party Lives, Dies On Social Media
- China Deports US Businesswoman Accused Of Spying
- Marchers Use Trump’s 100th Day To Protest Climate Policies
- Hacker Releases Stolen Stolen Copies Of ‘Orange Is The New Black’
- 3 Killed When Air Ambulance Crashes In Texas Panhandle
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures