WAXAHACHIE (CBSDFW.COM) – Friday is payday for many people, but for many federal workers this week or next could be the last paycheck they get for a while.
One family in Waxahachie is doubly affected.
Travis Villanueva is an employee with the U.S. Department of Labor in Dallas. He was one of many workers there who went to the office for just a few hours on Tuesday to tie up loose ends, before the October 1st furlough began.
Then the next day, Villanueva learned that reservists with the U.S. Marine Corps would be off duty, unpaid for the month of October.
Sgt. Villanueva joined the Marines in 2007, and served in Afghanistan. He moved to the reserves in 2012.
“Ultimately, we are taking a major impact on our financial situation. You try not to dwindle on things, but you just start to lose a little hope,” Villanueva said.
His wife, Larissa, works as a paraprofessional at Waxahachie High School, but she says her husband is the primary provider for their two children, a five-year-old daughter, and 20 month old son.
“It hits him a little deeper than you would think,” Larissa Villanueva said.
Travis Villanueva is now applying for part time jobs. The family has made concessions, cutting back on trips and paying the babysitter.
Now four days into the shutdown, many unpaid federal workers are applying for unemployment.
But others, like Villanueva, are hesitant to apply for unemployment. When the shutdown eventually comes to an end, federal workers may receive backpay. Those workers would then have to payback the unemployment. For families who live paycheck to paycheck, it’s not an easy choice.
“We all want to get back to work for the American people,” Villanueva said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Governor Abbott’s School Safety Talks To Tackle Gun Control
- NFL Discussing Possible Steps To Deal With Anthem Protests
- Rockets Top Warriors 95-92 In Game 4 To Even Playoff Series
- Hamels Helps Last-Place Rangers Top Slugging Yankees 6-4
- Energy Wells Plugged As Hawaii’s Volcano Sends Lava Nearby
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures