MESQUITE (KRLD) — A Mesquite man accused of beating and drowning his pit bull in August is speaking out from jail and explaining his actions and regret.
Robert Prichard, 59, is in jail on $50,000 bond for allegedly killing the dog on Aug. 30.
In an exclusive interview with KRLD’s L.P. Phillips, Robert Prichard says the dog had become unruly, biting him, ruining his yard, and even attacking the family cat.
LISTEN TO THE FULL INTERVIEW
“When I attempted to leash her with a doggy chain, she bit my leg and my arm, and in the process I made mistake,” said Prichard from Lew Sterrett Justice Center in Dallas.
Prichard claims he tried to take the dog to a Balch Springs animal shelter previously, but the shelter wanted $2,200 to take it — money he claims he didn’t have.
“I regret terminating that dog. I should have just leashed it inside it’s doghouse and waited for my next check,” said Prichard.
He says, as a military veteran, he lives on only one check per month.
Prichard says he is not a dangerous man, rather a law abiding man who flashed an old security badge at the courthouse to show he respects law enforcement.
Prichard realizes the seriousness of the charge and repeatedly expressed regret for the decision he made.
“I apologize to my neighbors. I’m sorry I made that initial wrong decision cause I thought I had no other choice.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Spacewalking Astronauts Prep Station For New Parking Spot
- Pilots’ Union Says American Airlines Is Leaving Standby Passengers Behind
- Big Wind And Wild Outcomes At Match Play
- U.S. Born Panda Bao Bao Makes 1st Public Appearance In China
- NAACP Files Lawsuit To Close “Sick” School Until District Finds Answers
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures