KELLER (CBSDFW.COM) – A group of amputee veterans were surprised Saturday morning by some community supporters at Keller Pointe athletic facility.
Early next year the veterans will attempt to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa. For the six amputee wounded warriors, the trip will signify overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds.
“We hope it’s going to be a great example,” said amputee veteran Stephen Martin.
They will push themselves, overcoming their physical limitations and achieving their goals.
Training is an essential part of such a tremendous undertaking. The amputees were on a training hike through Keller’s Bear Creek park trails Saturday when they came upon on a group of 100 people holding signs.
The organizer of the group said that since the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, more than 50,000 service members have come back stateside, with severe, war related injuries. He said the road to recovery for vets, physically and mentally is a long one. The effort made by the six wounded warriors to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, in their current physical condition, will be a giant step forward on their road to a full recovery.
It’s a giant leap, which deserved acknowledgement and a heartfelt expression of gratitude from the community. The Wounded Warrior Project is a veterans service organization that offers a variety of programs, service and events for wounded veterans of the military actions following the events of 9/11/2001.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- More Than A Dozen Structures Coming Down At The Stockyards
- North Richland Hills Church Involved In Sexual Misconduct Investigation
- Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Children Turns Self In To Police
- Dallas Cowboys Bus Involved In Fatal Crash In Arizona
- Child Dies After Being Left In A Hot Car In Dallas
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures