Electrical Malfunction Causes Massive Sewage Spill In Westlake
Get Breaking News First
WESTLAKE (CBSDFW.COM) - An electrical malfunction at a sewer lift station opened the flood gates to a massive sewage spill in Westlake and nearby Trophy Club.
More than 213,000 gallons of sewage flowed downstream along Trophy Club creek and into a neighborhood pond, according to Jarrod Greenwood, Public Works Director for the Town of Westlake.
Crews worked around the clock to drain the creek and pond to clean up the mess.
Residents were immediately notified by the city but for some the distinct stench was unmistakable.
“There was a game warden that was down there and he said that the smell would get worse because it killed all the fish and the turtles and things up along the creek,” said Ron Morgan, who home sits along the contaminated creek.
For others, it wasn’t so obvious.
“There was no unusual smell. I didn’t see what I expected to see, churning raw sewage or anything like that,” said Larry Mundy, whose home is situated along the creek. “The actual effect as I went back there was actually very little except the coyotes are not there in the morning, frolicking. I guess they found a better place for fresh water.”
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality took several samples from the muck and will continue to do so until the mess is cleaned up.
Once the creek and pond are drained, they’ll treated with lime.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Suspect Search Closes Fort Worth School
- Outdoor Warning Siren Malfunction Alarms Fort Worth Residents
- Thursday Night Football Fantasy Starters: Vincent Jackson, Matt Ryan And Julio Jones
- Police: Suspect Kills Man In Ex-Girlfriend’s Dallas Home
- Dempsey Makes Name In Sports Car Racing
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures