Crews Haul Contaminated Water Out Of Westlake Neighborhood
Get Breaking News First
TARRANT COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) - Crews worked all weekend to clean up more than 200,000 gallons of sewage that spilled into a creek and pond near Highway 114.
A sewer station malfunction is to blame, according to authorities.
Monday crews filled tanker trucks with the contaminated water out of the neighborhood pond and nearby creek and hauled it off to a waste water treatment facility.
“It smells pretty bad and there is a lot of dead fish,” says Brad Haubrich who lives in Trophy Club near the contaminated pond “You got a lot of dead wildlife here there is ducks that fly in here geese when you have sewage with the environment and animals around its affecting everything.”
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality took more samples and will decided if more cleanup needs to be done.
“We have seen fish kill,” says Jarrod Greenwood Director of Public Works for Town of Westlake “Approximately 200 fish kill which was documented by the state.”
Greenwood says drinking water in Westlake and Trophy Club has not been impacted because the towns get their water from Fort Worth.
The water from the pond flows to Grapevine Lake.
TCEQ says there should be no impact on the drinking water in Grapevine either.
The creek which was contaminated has been emptied and crews sprinkled a disinfectant around the area.
At this point TCEQ has not decided whether or not to launch a formal investigation.
A spokesperson says if and when that’s done then there could be potential fines involved.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Suspect Arrested In Rape Near SMU
- Arlington Woman Executed For Starvation Death Of 9-Year-Old
- School Bus Cameras Go Dark In Some North Texas Cities
- Supreme Court Refuses To Block Execution Of Arlington Woman
- Man Injured In Fort Worth Fire Thanks Heroes Who Saved Him
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures