RICHARDSON (CBSDFW.COM) – Duck Creek in Richardson is a beautiful sanctuary for walkers, cyclists, birds and even turtles. But its banks are also home to dozens of coyotes.
Residents say the animals have gotten bolder, venturing onto their streets, lawns, and even onto their porches.
“They’ve gotten very brazen in the neighborhood and they are also concerned about the coyotes that have mange [a skin disease caused by parasitic mites], Diana Clawson, with the Duck Creek Homeowners Association, said concerned. “They look sort of moth eaten. You can tell that their sickly.”
Candace Newcomer was walking her son home from school around 3:00 p.m. a few weeks ago when a coyote crossed their path. The wild animal, related to dogs and wolves, stood less than 10 feet from them.
“I was very shocked,” Newcomer recalled. “I was shocked at just the brazenness of it.”
Recently the City of Richardson put out more traps. Their efforts resulted in the capture of 10 coyotes so far this year, compared to 14 all of last year.
Officials are recommending that residents make their neighborhood less attractive to coyotes by removing pets and pet food from outdoors at night.
Some residents say they’d like to see the city put out more traps or even call in professional help. “You know, a contract with someone that can spend the time to locate them,” Clawson suggested. “I do understand that if you take the coyotes out new ones will come but maybe they won’t be sick with mange.”
Richardson communications director Greg Sowell said, “Really, there is no solution. Coyotes are a problem here, they are a problem across most of the country.”
But residents like Candace Newcomer say living near a popular sanctuary comes with a price. She has now vowed to be more vigilant of wildlife. “You can’t have the parks, and the creeks, and the trees, and other wildlife without also having coyotes,” she said. “Its just nature.”
Richardson city officials say the healthy coyotes that are trapped are taken to the wilderness in east Texas. The unhealthy ones are euthanized at the city shelter.
- WWE Superstar AJ Styles VS Mark Wahlberg At WrestleMania 33?
- Jones Says Romo Injury A “Setback” But Doesn’t Kill His Optimism For 2016 Season
- Court Tosses Data Speed Reduction Lawsuit Against AT&T
- Cowboys Waive DE Jenkins & Put CB Thomas On IR
- Djokovic’s Right Arm Troubles Him At U.S. Open
- Sasquatch Genome Project Reveals Bigfoot Photos
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Mexican Monster Truck Wreck Kills 8, Hurts Dozens
- Nolan, Daniels Involved In Heated Confrontation
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures