AUSTIN (AP) — Candidates for Texas governor, lieutenant governor and comptroller rolled out campaign ads Monday on YouTube, introducing themselves to voters and laying out policy positions.
Democratic candidate for governor Wendy Davis posted her first campaign ad, while Republican Dan Patrick bought television time in his bid for lieutenant governor. Democrat Mike Collier posted the first ad in the state comptroller’s race for the Democratic nomination.
Davis and Collier are the only Democrats to announce candidacies for statewide office so far. Patrick, a Houston senator, is one of three candidates running against incumbent Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst.
Davis’ ad is a four-and-a-half-minute biographic piece that expands on the speech she gave last week in announcing her candidacy, emphasizing her belief in building consensus and rejecting partisanship.
“Listening, working together, finding solutions, that’s what how we should be doing business in Texas,” she said in the video, which also featured her daughter and supporters from across the state.
WATCH WENDY DAVIS’ CAMPAIGN AD:
Patrick’s ad calls for tougher enforcement of immigration laws and an end to in-state college tuition for teens who grew up in Texas after crossing the border illegally with their parents. The Patrick ad will appear on the Fox News Channel, his campaign said in a news release.
“I’ll do what Washington won’t to, I’ll secure our border and end sanctuary cities,” Patrick said.
WATCH DAN PATRICK’S CAMPAIGN AD:
Collier talks about his professional experience as an accountant based in Houston. The state comptroller is responsible for collecting state taxes and fees and distributing revenues to state agencies.
“If you want the government you deserve instead of the circus that been getting and a comptroller with the courage to tell you the truth … then I’ll hope you join us,” he said.
WATCH MIKE COLLIER’S CAMPAIGN AD:
The party primary elections are set for March 4, with the general election on Nov. 4, 2014.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Former Bait Dogs Rescued, Returned To Rightful Owners
- Downtown Dallas Restaurants Show Police Appreciation With Free Food
- Facebook Fashion Fail: Deceptive Ads On Feeds Not Worth It
- Forget Romance: Many Trying To Catch Partners Cheating On Valentine’s Day
- Family Forced Out After Gas Explosion In Their Lakewood Home
- Climber Falls To Her Death In Grapevine
- Tricks To Using The New iPhone Software
- Enter The “Show Your Spirit’ Sweepstakes
- Ben & Skin Parody: Rangers Won’t Die
- Johnny Manziel’s Popularity Plummets
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures